Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Let's talk about cupcakes baybay

Cupcakes, a fad that has spread like wildfire beyond the occasional funfetti family bday to basically an artform. They are simple and easy to bake up whether it be boxed or from scratch, but the best part is decorating! They can be made into anything, according to the ~5 books I've acquired in the past couple of years. I thoroughly enjoy pumpin' out a batch to get down to the decorating part.

To tell you the truth, I'm not much of a cake fan at all. I'm in it for the joy of making an awesome looking mini dessert!

Past cupcake endeavors: (mostly featuring the talents of Michelle Masters, my partner in the kitchen)


Baby owls made on a whim the most delicious choc on choc)


Practice wedding red velvet that didnt make the cut



My personal favorite, the garden cupcake


Last but not least, the wedding cupcakes which included a vanilla bean cake with either a strawberry or lemon butter cream frosting


Like I mentioned before, I'm not too big a fan of the cupcake, but they are pretty fun...I am excited to learn new recipes for other desserts with more of a challenge: results coming soon.

3 comments:

  1. I love the owl cupcakes!
    Please do a DIY on the decorating?
    I would love to bring those to thanksgiving dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I can tell you right here...i dont have pics of when my friend i were making them step by step but heres how:

    -make and frost cupcakes (choc frosting)
    -break in half the mini oreos and save the ones with cream on them for the eyes
    -take the oreo halves that dont have cream on them and break them in half for the ears
    -place the 2 cream sided oreos next to each other for eyes
    -place the halves above the eyes above the ears after frosting them (see pic if you dont get what im saying)
    -place brown M&Ms as on the cream of the oreo to complete the eyes
    -use yellow or orange M&Ms on their side between the eyes as beaks
    -last but not least, to get the effect of feathers, place the choc frosting in a ziplock bag for piping - cut a tiny corner in the bag and pipe around the top half of the eyes and between the ears
    -ta da!

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete